Diana, Princess of Wales, was active in raising her two sons and working with charities, even while her marriage was quite publicly falling apart. Here are some choice quotes from Diana, Princess of Wales:
Selected Princess Diana Quotations
• Being a princess isn't all it's cracked up to be.
• Call me Diana, not Princess Diana.
• Don't call me an icon. I'm just a mother trying to help.
• I'd like to be a queen in people's hearts but I don't see myself being queen of this country.
• Everyone needs to be valued. Everyone has the potential to give something back.
• I want to walk into a room, be it a hospital for the dying or a hospital for the sick children, and feel that I am needed. I want to do, not just to be.
• I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.
• HIV does not make people dangerous to know, so you can shake their hands and give them a hug : Heaven knows they need it.
• I love to hold people's hands when I visit hospitals, even though they are shocked because they haven't experienced anything like it before, but to me it is a normal thing to do.
• Nothing gives me more happiness than to try to aid the most vulnerable of this society. Whoever is in distress who calls me, I will come running.
• I want my boys to have an understanding of people's emotions, their insecurities, people's distress, and their hopes and dreams.
• Well there were three of us in the marriage so it was a bit crowded. (BBC interview, 1995)
• What must it be like for a little boy to read that daddy never loved mummy?
• Any sane person would have left long ago. But I cannot. I have my sons.
• I live for my sons. I would be lost without them.
• I will fight for my children on any level so they can reach their potential as human beings and in their public duties.
• It's vital that the monarchy keeps in touch with the people. It's what I try and do.
• I'm as thick as a plank.
• I like to be a free spirit. Some don't like that, but that's the way I am.
• People think that at the end of the day a man is the only answer. Actually, a fulfilling job is better for me.
• They say it is better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable, but how about a compromise like moderately rich and just moody?
More About Princess Diana
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Primary Sources
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Princess Diana Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/princess_diana.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)