From her first millinery shop, opened in 1912, to the 1920s, Coco Chanel (Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel) rose to become one of the premier fashion designers in Paris, France. Replacing the corset with comfort and casual elegance, Coco Chanel fashion themes included simple suits and dresses, women's trousers, costume jewelry, perfume and textiles.
Selected Coco Chanel Quotations
• How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone.
• Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.
• A fashion that does not reach the streets is not a fashion.
• One shouldn't spend all one's time dressing. All one needs are two or three suits, as long as they and everything to go with them, are perfect.
• Fashion is made to become unfashionable.
• [T]here is no fashion for the old.
• One ought to be a bit of a fetishist.
• Elegance is refusal.
• It's always better to be slightly underdressed.
• Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury.
• A woman has the age she deserves.
• Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.
• Fashion has become a joke. The designers have forgotten that there are women inside the dresses. Most women dress for men and want to be admired. But they must also be able to move, to get into a car without bursting their seams! Clothes must have a natural shape.
• "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said.
• Yes, when someone offers me a flower, I can smell the hands that picked them.
• If I have a certain preference for order, for comfort, for having things done right, for chests filled with linens that smell good ... I owe it to my aunts. [Note: she probably made up the aunts rather than admit to being raised in an orphanage]
• I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.
• Legend is the consecration of celebrity.
• My friends, there are no friends.
• When you're my age you don't ask to see a gentleman's passport.
• Since everything is in our heads, we had better not lose them.
• There is no time for cut-and-dried monotony. There is time for work. And time for love. That leaves no other time.
Related Resources for Coco Chanel
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Primary Sources
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2005. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Coco Chanel Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/cs/quotes/qu_coco_chanel.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)