Selected Wyomia Tyus Quotations
• Starting all over, it's kind of difficult saying where you want to go. You go step by step, waiting and waiting, and, I guess, being a sprinter, it's hard to wait.
• I never think about anybody. I let them think about me.
• I wasn't paid a dime for my track career. But participating in the Olympics gave me the opportunity to learn about different cultures; it made me a better person. I wouldn't trade the time I competed for anything.
• After the Olympics I did not even run across the street.
• You can be the best in the world and not be recognized.... A lot of it has to do with breaks. If a coach at Tennessee State hadn't given me a break at 14, I never would have been in the Olympic Games.
More About Wyomia Tyus
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Primary Sources
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2006. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Wyomia Tyus Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/wyomia_tyus_quo.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)