Sarah Bernhardt, whose name is virtually synonymous with "stage actress," was a French actress known as "The Divine Sarah." Sarah Bernhardt was very popular in her native France and around Europe, and her numerous tours of the United States brought her fame and popularity in America as well.
Selected Sarah Bernhardt Quotations
• Life begets life. Energy creates energy. It is by spending oneself that one becomes rich.
• It exasperates me to be unable to do anything without being accused of eccentricity. I had great fun going up in a balloon, but now I dare not do so. I assure you that I have never skinned dogs or burned cats. And I regret that I cannot prove that I am a natural blonde.
• I have, thanks to my travels, added to my stock all the superstitions of other countries. I know them all now, and in any critical moment of my life, they all rise up in armed legions for or against me.
• Once the curtain is raised, the actor is ceases to belong to himself. He belongs to his character, to his author, to his public. He must do the impossible to identify himself with the first, not to betray the second, and not to disappoint the third.
• [C]elebrity .... is a sort of octopus with innumerable tentacles. It throws out to right and left, in front and behind, its clammy arms, and gathers in, through its thousand little suckers, all the gossip and slander and praise afloat, to spit out again at the public.
• One should hate very little, because it's extremely fatiguing. One should despise much, forgive often, and never forget. Pardon does not bring with it forgetfulness; at least not for me.
• For the theatre one needs long arms; it is better to have them too long than too short. An artiste with short arms can never, never make a fine gesture.
• Mark Twain about Sarah Bernhardt: There are five kinds of actresses: bad actresses, fair actresses, good actresses, great actresses -- and then there is Sarah Bernhardt.
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Primary Sources
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2005. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Sarah Bernhardt Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/sarah_bernhardt.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)