Ruby Dee was born in Cleveland, Ohio, and grew up in Harlem in New York City. She began acting in high school, and continued at Hunter College. She played on Broadway in 1946, and has acted in movies, plays, radio, and television in a variety of roles, to critical acclaim.
Ruby Dee has been active in civil rights causes, including being active in the NAACP, SCLC, and CORE.
Ruby Dee was married to actor Ossie Davis from 1948 until his death in 2005. They raised three children.
Selected Ruby Dee Quotations
• You just try to do everything that comes up. Get up an hour earlier, stay up an hour later, make the time. Then you look back and say, "Well, that was a neat piece of juggling there -- school, marriage, babies, career." The enthusiasms took me through the action, not the measuring of it or the reasonableness.
• That's what being young is all about. You have the courage and the daring to think that you can make a difference. You're not prone to measure your energies in time. You're not likely to live by equations.
• Classism and greed are making insignificant all the other kinds of isms.
• The greatest gift is not being afraid to question.
• Paradise is to be the ultimate instrument, fulfilling God's desperate intent that we love each other.
• The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within -- strength, courage, dignity.
• God, make me so uncomfortable that I will do the very thing I fear.
• OK, boss, I don't mind shuffling, but I won't scratch my head.
More About Ruby Dee
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Primary Sources
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2005. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Ruby Dee Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/ruby_dee.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)