Rosa Parks Quotes
• I would like to be known as a person who is concerned about freedom and equality and justice and prosperity for all people. (source)
• The only tired I was, was tired of giving in. (on refusing to give up her seat on the bus to a white male)
• I knew someone had to take the first step and I made up my mind not to move.
• Our mistreatment was just not right, and I was tired of it.
• I didn't want to pay my fare and then go around the back door, because many times, even if you did that, you might not get on the bus at all. They'd probably shut the door, drive off, and leave you standing there.
• My only concern was to get home after a hard day's work.
• I am a symbol.
• I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.
• Have you ever been hurt and the place tries to heal a bit, and you just pull the scar off of it over and over again.
• [F]rom the time I was a child, I tried to protest against disrespectful treatment.
• Memories of our lives, of our works and our deeds will continue in others.
• I do the very best I can to look upon life with optimism and hope and looking forward to a better day, but I don't think there is anything such as complete happiness. It pains me that there is still a lot of Klan activity and racism. I think when you say you're happy, you have everything that you need and everything that you want, and nothing more to wish for. I haven't reached that stage yet. (source)
Related Resources for Rosa Parks
More Women's Quotes:
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Rosa Parks Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/rosa_parks.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)