Robin Morgan served as an editor of Ms. Magazine 1990-1993 after serving as a contributing editor for many years.
Robin Morgan, as a child actress, had a radio show and appeared on the television series I Remember Mama.
Selected Robin Morgan Quotations
• I am an artist and a political being as well. My aim has been to forge these two concerns into an integrity which affirms language, art, craft, form, beauty, tragedy, and audacity with the needs and vision of women, as part of an emerging new culture which could enrich us all.
• If I had to characterize one quality as the genius of feminist thought, culture, and action, it would be the connectivity.
• Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible.
• Don't accept rides from strange men -- and remember that all men are strange as hell.
• Women are not inherently passive or peaceful. We're not inherently anything but human.
• I'm just a person trapped inside a woman's body.
• It isn't until you begin to fight in your own cause that you (a) become really committed to winning, and (b) become a genuine ally of other people struggling for their freedom.
• There's something contagious about demanding freedom
• Knowledge is power. Information is power. The secreting or hoarding of knowledge or information may be an act of tyranny camouflaged as humility.
• We are the women men warned us about.
• And let's put one lie to rest for all time: the lie that men are oppressed, too, by sexism -- the lie that there can be such a thing as "men's liberation groups." Oppression is something that one group of people commits against another group specifically because of a "threatening" characteristic shared by the latter group -- skin color or sex or age, etc.
• In the long run, Women's Liberation will of course free men -- but in the short run it's going to COST men a lot of privilege, which no one gives up willingly or easily.
• [A] legitimate revolution must be led by, made by those who have been most oppressed: black, brown, yellow, red, and white women —- with men relating to that the best they can.
• Sexism is NOT the fault of women -- kill your fathers, not your mothers.
• We can't destroy the inequities between men and women until we destroy marriage.
• I claim that rape exists any time sexual intercourse occurs when it has not been initiated by the woman, out of her own genuine affection and desire.
• I feel that "man-hating" is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them.
• Although every organized religion works overtime to contribute its own brand of misogyny to the myth of woman-hate, woman-fear, and woman-evil, the Roman Catholic church also carries the immense power of very directly affecting women's lives everywhere by its stand against birth control and abortion, and by its use of skillful and wealthy lobbies to prevent legislative change. It is an obscenity -- an all-male hierarchy, celibate or not, that presumes to rule on the lives and bodies of millions of women.
Related Resources for Robin Morgan
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Primary Sources
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2005. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Robin Morgan Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/robin_morgan.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)