Selected Rita Mae Brown Quotations
• Any woman whose I.Q. hovers above her body temperature must be a feminist.
• If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle.
• The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
• As a woman, I find it very embarrassing to be in a meeting and realize I'm the only one in the room with balls.
• One survey found that ten percent of Americans thought Joan of Arc was Noah's wife....
• I finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it.
• One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory.
• I believe in a lively disrespect for most forms of authority.
• The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself.
• A life of reaction is a life of slavery, intellectually and spiritually. One must fight for a life of action, not reaction.
• Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.
• I believe the true function of age is memory. I'm recording as fast as I can.
• Lead me not into temptation; I can find the way myself.
• Morals are private. Decency is public.
• To love without role, without power plays, is revolution.
• This is a celebration of individual freedom, not of homosexuality. No government has the right to tell its citizens when or whom to love. The only queer people are those who don't love anybody.
• Virginia Woolf said that writers must be androgynous. I'll go a step further. You must be bisexual.
• What's the point of being a lesbian if a woman is going to look and act like an imitation man?
• Women who love women are Lesbians. Men, because they can only think of women in sexual terms, define Lesbian as sex between women.
• I still miss those I loved who are no longer with me but I find I am grateful for having loved them. The gratitude has finally conquered the loss.
• Art is moral passion married to entertainment. Moral passion without entertainment is propaganda, and entertainment without moral passion is television.
• I believe you are your work. Don't trade the stuff of your life, time, for nothing more than dollars. That's a rotten bargain.
• Creativity comes from trust. Trust your instincts.
• A deadline is negative inspiration. Still, it's better than no inspiration at all.
• Language is a road map of a culture. It tells you where its people come from and where they are going.
• Language exerts hidden power, like the moon on the tides.
• Writers will happen in the best of families.
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Primary Sources
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2004. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Rita Mae Brown Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/rita_mae_brown.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)