Queen Victoria, the longest-ruling monarch of Great Britain, ruled during a time of economic and imperial expansion, and gave her name to the Victorian Era.
Selected Queen Victoria Quotations
• We are not amused. (attributed)
• Please understand that there is no one depressed in this house; we are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist.
• Move Queen Anne? Most certainly not! Why it might some day be suggested that my statue should be moved, which I should much dislike. (about moving a statue of Queen Anne for Victoria's Diamond Jubilee)
• The Queen is most anxious to enlist every one who can speak or write to join in checking this mad, wicked folly of "Woman's Rights", with all its attendant horrors, on which her poor feeble sex is bent, forgetting every sense of womanly feeling and propriety.
• The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.
• His purity was too great, his aspiration too high for this poor, miserable world! His great soul is now only enjoying that for which it was worthy!
• When I think of a merry, happy, free young girl -- and look at the ailing, aching state a young wife generally is doomed to -- which you can't deny is the penalty of marriage.
• I feel sure that no girl would go to the altar if she knew all.
• An ugly baby is a very nasty object, and the prettiest is frightful when undressed.
• I don't dislike babies, though I think very young ones rather disgusting.
• I would venture to warn against too great intimacy with artists as it is very seductive and a little dangerous.
• Great events make me quiet and calm; it is only trifles that irritate my nerves.
• He speaks to Me as if I was a public meeting. (of Mr. Gladstone)
More About Queen Victoria
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2009. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Queen Victoria Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/queen_victoria.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)