Suggested reading: Women of the Summer Olympics
Selected Olga Korbut Quotations
• Don't be afraid if things seem difficult in the beginning. That's only the initial impression. The important thing is not to retreat; you have to master yourself.
• I am a great realist in all aspects of life. Whatever I can do ... here it is.
• I would like to do what I want to do. I don't want to do what do you tell me to do.
• It's better to have a rich soul than to be rich.
• I look at that little girl now and see that it was a shame she wasn't prepared for any of this. She couldn't comprehend what was happening. She was thinking, Why are these people bothering me?
• I would like everyone in the world to be aware of how terrible it is in Byelorussia. Maybe we can only save one child or two children. I hope there are people in this world who want to help. No matter how little or how large, it will count. (about helping the children affected by the 1986 Chernobyl disaster which also affected Korbut's health)
• Sometimes I say, "Enough ... all my life I've done gymnastics. Let's do something else." But I was born in gymnastics, and it is in my heart.
• The best part of my life is when I am at home with my family. I feel relaxed. I have the chance to just be a normal person.
• Life is marvelous now because I have a tape-recorder.
More About Olga Korbut
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Primary Sources
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2008. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Olga Korbut Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/olga_korbut.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)