Oksana Baiul won the Olympic gold medal for women's figure skating at the 1994 games in Lillehammer, Norway, after an accident the day of her long program that required three stitches. She narrowly beat Nancy Kerrigan, who had been injured earlier by an attack by someone hired by the boyfriend of rival Tonya Harding.
Selected Oksana Baiul Quotations
• My whole life is a challenge!
• It is because I have lived a most difficult life that I could do this.
• One shouldn't be afraid to lose; this is sport. One day you win; another day you lose. Of course, everyone wants to be the best. This is normal. This is what sport is about. This is why I love it.
• I like when people are watching. What's the reason for figure skating without spectators watching?
• Olympic Gold changed me and my life dramatically. I became a celebrity overnight and people see me as a famous skater, not a real person.
• Competitive skaters must be prepared for lots of work, challenges, self-discipline, and motivation. The desire must be there, but more importantly, you're love for the sport.
• I skate how I feel. I think it must be a gift from God.
• I keep my skates. My Olympic skates are still in my closet!
• I skate now for fun and to keep myself in shape.
• I don't care what the critics say or think because I care for and love my fans.
• I took some time off to enjoy my life, but figure skating is something I love and something I will continue doing for the rest of my life.
• I'd like to consider myself a versatile skater and I like to skate to different kinds of music.
• When I'm on the ice, I like being Oksana, and not imitate other skater's music.
More About Oksana Baiul
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Oksana Baiul Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/oksana_baiul.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)