Uncomfortable with public speaking, she has nevertheless used her popularity to promote her husband's candidacies, to promote reading for children, and to work on awareness of women's health problems including heart disease and breast cancer.
Selected Laura Bush Quotations
• Libraries allow children to ask questions about the world and find the answers. And the wonderful thing is that once a child learns to use a library, the doors to learning are always open.
• A love of books, of holding a book, turning its pages, looking at its pictures, and living its fascinating stories goes hand-in-hand with a love of learning. Every child in American should have access to a well-stocked school library.
• The power of a book lies in its power to turn a solitary act into a shared vision. As long as we have books, we are not alone.
• When we look around the world today, when we see in Afghanistan that 10 million people have registered to vote in their upcoming elections, including 40 percent of those people are women, that's just unbelievable. We wouldn't have thought that three years ago, that Afghanistan could be on their way to elections and that women can be a part of that. (August 31, 2004)
• President George W. Bush, about Laura Bush's absence from an event: "It's been raining, so she needs to sweep the porch, because the President of China is coming tomorrow." When asked the next day if she appreciated the remark, she shook her head and mouthed "No."
• It isn't really a sissy pretzel. (on the Tonight Show, 2/11/2002)
Related Resources for First Lady Laura Welch Bush
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Primary Sources
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2005. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Laura Bush - First Lady Laura Welch Bush Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/laura_bush.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)