Selected Katharine Graham Quotations
• To love what you do and feel that it matters — how could anything be more fun?
• So few grown women like their lives. (1974)
• The thing women must do to rise to power is to redefine their femininity. Once, power was considered a masculine attribute. In fact power has no sex.
• If one is rich and one's a woman, one can be quite misunderstood.
• Some questions don't have answers, which is a terribly difficult lesson to learn.
• We live in a dirty and dangerous world. There are some things the general public does not need to know, and shouldn't. I believe democracy flourishes when the government can take legitimate steps to keep its secrets and when the press can decide whether to print what it knows. (1988)
• Bromidic though it may sound, some questions don't have answers, which is a terribly difficult lesson to learn.
• If we had failed to pursue the facts as far as they led, we would have denied the public any knowledge of an unprecedented scheme of political surveillance and sabotage. (on Watergate)
• No one can avoid aging, but aging productively is something else.
• A mistake is simply another way of doing things.
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2009. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Katharine Graham Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/kay_graham.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)