Selected Julia Ward Howe Quotations
• The strokes of the pen need deliberation as much as the sword needs swiftness.
• Every life has its actual blanks, which the ideal must fill up, or which else remain bare and profitless forever.
• I am confirmed in my division of human energies. Ambitious people climb, but faithful people build.
• When I see the elaborate study and ingenuity displayed by women in the pursuit of trifles, I feel no doubt of their capacity for the most herculean undertakings.
• He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored... [more]
• 'Twas red with the blood of freemen and white with the fear of the foe;
And the stars that fit in their courses 'gainst tyrants its symbols know. [from "The Flag"]
• Arise then, women of this day! ... [more]
• The sword of murder is not the balance of justice. Blood does not wipe out dishonor nor violence indicate possession. [more]
• I think nothing is religion which puts one individual absolutely above others, and surely nothing is religion which puts one sex above another.... [more]
• Any religion which sacrifices women to the brutality of men is no religion.... [more]
• Marriage, like death, is a debt we owe to nature.
Related Resources for Julia Ward Howe
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Primary Sources
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2005. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Julia Ward Howe Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/julia_ward_howe.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)