Selected Golda Meir Quotations
• At work, you think of the children you've left at home. At home, you think of the work you've left unfinished. Such a struggle is unleashed within yourself, your heart is rent.
• I can honestly say that I was never affected by the question of the success of an undertaking. If I felt it was the right thing to do, I was for it regardless of the possible outcome.
• We have always said that in our war with the Arabs we had a secret weapon—no alternative. 1969
• The Egyptians could run to Egypt, the Syrians into Syria. The only place we could run was into the sea, and before we did that we might as well fight. 1969
• It’s no accident many accuse me of conducting public affairs with my heart instead of my head. Well, what if I do? … Those who don’t know how to weep with their whole heart don’t know how to laugh either. 1973
• Let me tell you something that we Israelis have against Moses. He took us 40 years through the desert in order to bring us to the one spot in the Middle East that has no oil! 1973
• To be or not to be is not a question of compromise. Either you be or you don't be. 1974
• I never did anything alone. Whatever was accomplished in this country was accomplished collectively. 1977
More About Golda Meir
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2009. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Golda Meir Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/golda_meir.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)