A favorite with the press, she often did not get along well with other athletes, who resented her aggressiveness and self-promotion.
It has been argued that Babe Didrikson Zaharias was the greatest woman athlete ever.
Selected Babe Didrikson Zaharias Quotations
• All of my life I have always had the urge to do things better than anybody else.
• You can't win them all -- but you can try.
• I am out to beat everybody in sight, and that is just what I'm going to do.
• You have to play by the rules of golf just as you have to live by the rules of life. There's no other way.
• Study the rules so that you won't beat yourself by not knowing something.
• Before I was in my teens, I knew exactly what I wanted to be: I wanted to be the best athlete who ever lived.
• Luck? Sure. But only after long practice and only with the ability to think under pressure.
• The formula for success is simple: practice and concentration then more practice and more concentration.
• The more you practice, the better. But in any case, practice more than you play.
• Practice, which some regard as a chore, should be approached as just about the most pleasant recreation ever devised, besides being a necessary part of golf.
• It's not enough just to swing at the ball. You've got to loosen your girdle and let 'er fly.
• Golf is a game of coordination, rhythm and grace; women have these to a high degree.
• Good golf is easier to play -- and far more pleasant -- than bad golf.
• Before I was ever in my teens, I knew exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up. My goal was to be the greatest athlete that ever lived.
• Winning has always meant much to me, but winning friends has meant the most.
• You know when there's a star, like in show business, the star has her name in lights on the marquee! Right? And the star gets the money because the people come to see the star, right? Well, I'm the star, and all of you are in the chorus.
• As long as I'm improving, I will go on, and besides, there's too much money in the business to quit.
• The Babe is here. Who's coming in second?
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Primary Sources
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2005. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Babe Didrikson Zaharias Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/didrikson.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)