Selected Christabel Pankhurst Quotations
• It is our duty to make this world a better place for women.
• What we suffragettes aspire to be when we are enfranchised is ambassadors of freedom to women in other parts of the world, who are not so free as we are.
• Ability is sexless.
• The inferiority of women is a hideous lie which has been enforced by law and woven into the British constitution.
• We are here to claim our rights as women, not only to be free, but to fight for freedom. It is our privilege, as well as our pride and our joy, to take some part in this militant movement, which, as we believe, means the regeneration of all humanity.
• Remember the dignity of your womanhood. Take courage, join hands, stand beside us, fight with us.
• Where peaceful means had failed, one act of militancy succeeded and never again was the cause ignored by that or any other newspaper.
• We are not ashamed of what we have done, because, when you have a great cause to fight for, the moment of greatest humiliation is the moment when the spirit is proudest.
• Never lose your temper with the Press or the public is a major rule of political life.
• [About Christabel, by Emmeline Pethwick-Lawrence: Christabel cared less for the political vote itself than for the dignity of her sex.
About the Pankhursts
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Biographies of Women
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2009. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Christabel Pankhurst Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/c_pankhurst.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)