Opposition to feminism is nothing new, nor is it something merely of the past. Here are some quotable quotes from those who've opposed feminism or were lukewarm about it. Phyllis Schlafly gets her own section.
• The feminist agenda is not about equal rights for women. It is about a socialist, anti-family political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism, and become lesbians.
Pat Robertson, 1992 (in a fund-raising letter)
• Feminism was established to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream.
• I listen to feminists and all these radical gals -- most of them are failures. They've blown it. Some of them have been married, but they married some Casper Milquetoast who asked permission to go to the bathroom. These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men -- that's their problem.
• We must not allow ourselves to be deflected by the feminists who are anxious to force us to regard the two sexes as completely equal in position and worth.
• Feminism has wreaked havoc on marriage, women, children and men. It is time to redress the disorder it has wrought and that must start with getting the principles and ideals for a new "masculinism" right.
Seminar description, "the New Masculinity," on the Family Research Council website
• Since 1920, the vast increase in welfare beneficiaries and the extension of the franchise to women - two constituencies that are notoriously tough for libertarians - have rendered the notion of "capitalist democracy" into an oxymoron.
Peter Thiel, Paypal CEO and Facebook investor
• Although feminism speaks the language of liberation, self-fulfillment, options, and the removal of barriers, these phrases invariably mean their opposites and disguise an agenda at variance with the ideals of a free society.
• This is what sexual liberation chiefly accomplishes-it liberates young women to pursue married men.
Phyllis Schlafly on Feminism
• The feminist movement taught women to see themselves as victims of an oppressive patriarchy. ... Self-imposed victimhood is not a recipe for happiness.
• My analysis is that the gays are about 5% of the attack on marriage in this country, and the feminists are about 95%.
• Feminism is doomed to failure because it is based on an attempt to repeal and restructure human nature.
Lukewarm About Feminism
• Feminists have emphasized for a long time the importance of each woman's individual entity and the necessity of economic independence. Perhaps it was necessary. But now I think we need some emphasis on the instinctive side of life, sex and motherhood.... Life isn't all earning your living. Unfortunately we fall in love and Feminism must take that into consideration.
• Women's liberation is just a lot of foolishness. It's men who are discriminated against. They can't bear children. And no one is likely to do anything about that.
More Golda Meir Quotes
• Feminism has become a catch-all vegetable drawer where bunches of clingy sob sisters can store their moldy neuroses.
More Camille Paglia Quotes
• I consider myself 100 percent a feminist, at odds with the feminist establishment in America. For me the great mission of feminism is to seek the full political and legal equality of women with men. However, I disagree with many of my fellow feminists as an equal opportunity feminist, who believes that feminism should only be interested in equal rights before the law. I utterly oppose special protection for women where I think that a lot of the feminist establishment has drifted in the last 20 years.
More Camille Paglia Quotes
• Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy.
• Feminism has led the way in demystifying personal relations, forcefully insisting they are political to the core.
About Elizabeth Fox Genovese
• One of the reasons for the failure of feminism to dislodge deeply held perceptions of male and female behaviour was its insistence that women were victims, and men powerful patriarchs, which made a travesty of ordinary people's experience of the mutual interdependence of men and women.
• No man is as anti-feminist as a really feminine woman.
• I'm furious about the women's liberationists. They keep getting up on soapboxes and proclaiming that women are brighter than men. That's true, but it should be kept very quiet or it ruins the whole racket.
Quote Against Anti-Feminism
• Feminism is hated because women are hated. Anti-feminism is a direct expression of misogyny; it is the political defense of women hating.
More Andrea Dworkin Quotes