Queen Elizabeth I was the last of the Tudor monarchs of England. Her father was Henry VIII, and her mother Anne Boleyn. Queen Elizabeth I reigned from 1558 until her death, and her early years were subject to much concern whether she would succeed -- or even survive.
Selected Queen Elizabeth I Quotations
• Monarchs ought to put to death the authors and instigators of war, as their sworn enemies and as dangers to their states.
• For me it will be enough that a marble stone should declare that a queen having reigned such a time, lived and died a virgin.
• I know I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England, too.
• I would rather go to any extreme than suffer anything that is unworthy of my reputation, or of that of my crown.
• I have the heart of a man, not a woman, and I am not afraid of anything.
• A clear and innocent conscience fears nothing.
• It is a natural virtue incident to our sex to be pitiful of those that are afflicted.
• Though the sex to which I belong is considered weak you will nevertheless find me a rock that bends to no wind.
• Ye may have a greater prince, but ye shall never have a more loving prince.
• To be a king and wear a crown is a thing more glorious to them that see it than it is pleasant to them that bear it.
More About Queen Elizabeth I
More Women's Quotes by Name:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Biographies of Women
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2010. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Queen Elizabeth I Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/Queen-Elizabeth-Quotes.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)