Labor activist Mother Jones was known for her support of strikers and other union organizing efforts, especially mine workers.
Selected Mother Jones Quotations
• Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living.
• I live in the United States," said I, "but I do not know exactly where. My address is wherever there is a fight against oppression. Sometimes I am in Washington, then in Pennsylvania, Arizona, Texas, Minnesota, Colorado. My address is like my shoes: it travels with me.
• I abide where there is a fight against wrong.
• The employment of children is doing more to fill prisons, insane asylums, almshouses, reformatories, slums, and gin shops than all the efforts of reformers are doing to improve society.
• I asked a man in prison once how he happened to be there and he said he had stolen a pair of shoes. I told him if he had stolen a railroad he would be a United States Senator.
• Sit down and read. Educate yourself for the coming conflicts.
• No matter what the fight, don't be ladylike! God almighty made women and the Rockefeller gang of thieves made the ladies.
More About Mother Jones
More Women's Quotes by Name:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Biographies of Women
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2011. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Mother Jones Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/Mother-Jones-quotes.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)