In her later years, as her father fought Alzheimer's, she became a fundraiser and educator fighting that disease. Maureen Reagan died in 2001, when her melanoma spread. She was survived by her third husband, Dennis Revell, and their adopted daughter, Rita Mirembe.
Selected Maureen Reagan Quotations
• I will feel equality has arrived when we can elect to office women who are as incompetent as some of the men who are already there.
• Women candidates have two unique problems. They have trouble raising money and being taken seriously by the media. Women tend to give political candidates only about 10 percent of what males give, and males give women candidates only 10 percent of what they give to males. What we've started to do is make sure they have access to party luminaries and get them some shekels to put in their jeans. We also give them some confidence that somebody back here knows about them and is looking out for them. 1984
• We're an ideal political family, as accessible as Disneyland.
• When you get to the top, stay there and make sure other women join you.
• [T]o me, he will always be the bronze Adonis who used to throw me in the swimming pool to see if I knew how to swim. About her father, Ronald Reagan
• There's a special place in heaven for caregivers. About her stepmother, Nancy Reagan, who cared for her father, Ronald Reagan, through his illness
• No actor ever forgets a role, so I should have realized something was wrong. about realizing her father might have Alzheimer's, when he could not recall a 1950s movie role
More Women's Quotes
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Primary Sources
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2005. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Maureen Reagan Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/morepoliticalfigures/a/maureen_reagan.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)