Known for: work with chimpanzees at Gombe Stream Reserve
Occupation: primatologist, scientist, chimpanzee researcher and observer, environmentalist
Dates: April 3, 1934 -
Also known as: Jane Van Lawick-Goodall
Jane Goodall Biography:
Originally brought to Africa to work with Louis Leakey, Jane Goodall began her work with chimpanzees in the Gombe Stream Reserve in 1970. By close observation, she documented the social organization of chimps in the wild, including their social nature, their tool-making, their occasional systematic killing of one another, their hierarchy and their social development.
Jane Goodall has also worked for the conservation of chimpanzees in the wild and for better conditions for chimps in zoos and research institutions, through speaking and writing, raising funds, and through the Jane Goodall Institute.
Books by Jane Goodall:
(also see children's books below)
- Goodall, Jane. Africa in My Blood: An Autobiography in Letters. Dale Peterson, editor.
- Goodall, Jane. Beyond Innocence: An Autobiography in Letters: The Later Years. Dale Peterson, editor. 2001.
- Goodall, Jane and David A. Hamburg. In the Shadow of Man. 2000.
- Goodall, Jane and Steven M. Wise. Rattling the Cage: Toward Legal Rights for Animals. 2000.
- Goodall, Jane. Reason for Hope: A Spiritual Journey. 2000.
- Goodall, Jane. Through a Window. 2000, reissue.
- Goodall, Jane. Jane Goodall: Fifty Years at Gombe. 2010. (update of Forty Years at Gombe, 1999.
Jane Goodall Biographies:
- Montgomery, Sy. Walking With the Great Apes: Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey and Birute Galdikas. 1992.
Children's Books by and About Jane Goodall:
- Goodall, Jane, et al. The Chimpanzee Family Book. 1997. Ages 4-8.
- Goodall, Jane. The Chimpanzees I Love: Saving Their World and Ours. 2001. Ages 4-8.
- Goodall, Jane. Dr. White. 1999.
- Goodall, Jane. The Eagle and the Wren. 2000.
- Goodall, Jane. My Life With the Chimpanzees. 2000. Ages 9-12.
- Goodall, Jane. With Love. 1998. Ages 4-8.
- Pettit, Jayne. Jane Goodall: Pioneer Researcher. 1999. Ages 9-12.
Gombe Stream National Park, Tanzania, London, England
Jane Goodall Institute