Billie Burke Quotes
Billie Burke, actress, is best known for her role as Glinda the Good Witch in the Wizard of Oz. From 1914 to his death in 1932, she was married to Florenz "Flo" Ziegfeld, Jr.
Selected Billie Burke Quotations
• Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
• A woman past forty should make up her mind to be young; not her face.
• If I ever loved a man better than I love my art, I should marry him and leave the stage. But I have never met such a man.
• No woman has less temptation to seek matrimony from sordid motives of selfishness or convenience. The actress is an absolutely independent wage-earner, and better compensated than the great majority of women who make their own livelihoods. She need not marry for money, or social position, for these are her natural possessions.
• (on her childhood:) I was a shy, wistful sort of moppet who never in this world would have got ahead if it had not been for my mother.
• (on her success:) I was earning more than $50,000 a season, a fine fortune in those days, had an estate at Hastings-on-the-Hudson, a Rolls-Royce, a nice Packard for my mummy, and went to Europe every season for my clothes.
• And so I began to do my silly women.... I am neatly typed . . . possibly irrevocably typed, although I sincerely hope not, for I should like better parts, for those are the roles that I was trained in -- the gay but intelligent, well-written, funny but believable roles.... But if people will laugh at my work and keep a sound roof over my head, who am I to complain?
More Women's Quotes by Name:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Biographies of Women
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2012. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Billie Burke Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/library/qu/blquburk.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)