Selected Anna Howard Shaw Quotations
• To be bound by outworn customs and traditions, and to be hampered by every known obstacle which could be put in one's path, and then to have the world calmly look on and tell you it was no use it was the divine will, was growing too absurd to be longer tolerated with dignity or accepted with self-respect. The soul within me refused to beat out its life against barred doors, and I rebelled.
• Then the young lady ... proved by statistics ... the awful results which happened where women did have the ballot -- how deeply women get interested in politics, because women are hysterical, and we cannot think of anything else, we just forget our families, cease to care for our children, cease to love our husbands, and just go to the polls and vote and keep on voting for ten hours a day, 365 days a year, and never let up! If we ever get to the polls once, you will never get us home. So that the women will not vote at all, and they will not do anything but vote! Now these are two very strong anti-suffrage arguments, and they can prove them, by figures.
• Now one of two things is true: Either a republic is a desirable form of government, or else it is not. If it is, then we should have it, if it is not, then we ought not to pretend that we have it.
• [about Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton): She [Miss Anthony] often said that Mrs. Stanton was the brains of the new association, while she herself was merely its hands and feet; but in truth the two women worked marvelously together, for Mrs. Stanton was a master of words and could write and speak to perfection of the things Susan B. Anthony saw and felt but could not herself express.
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
- Women's Voices - About Women's Quotes
- Primary Sources
- Today in Women's History
- Women's History Home
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis 1997-2005. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Anna Howard Shaw Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/cs/quotes/qu_anna_shaw.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)