Selected Angelina Grimké Quotations
• I recognize no rights but human rights -- I know nothing of men's rights and women's rights; for in Christ Jesus there is neither male nor female. It is my solemn conviction that, until this principal of equality is recognized and embodied in practice, the church can do nothing effectual for the permanent reformation of the world.
• ...thou art blind to the danger of marrying a woman who feels and acts out the principle of equal rights...
• Hitherto, instead of being a help meet to man, in the highest, noblest sense of the term, as a companion, a co-worker, an equal; she has been a mere appendage of his being, an instrument of his convenience and pleasure, the pretty toy with which he whiled away his leisure moments, or the pet animal whom he humored into playfulness and submission.
• Abolitionists never sought place or power. All they asked was freedom; all they wanted was that the white man should take his foot off the negro's neck.
• Slavery always has, and always will, produce insurrections wherever it exists, because it is a violation of the natural order of things.
• My friends, it is a fact that the South has incorporated slavery into her religion; that is the most fearful thing in this rebellion. They are fighting, verily believing that they are doing God service.
• I know you do not make the laws, but I also know that you are the wives and mothers, the sisters and daughters, of those who do.
More Women's Quotes:
Explore Women's Voices and Women's History
About These Quotes
Quote collection assembled by Jone Johnson Lewis. Each quotation page in this collection and the entire collection © Jone Johnson Lewis. This is an informal collection assembled over many years. I regret that I am not be able to provide the original source if it is not listed with the quote.
Jone Johnson Lewis. "Angelina Grimké Quotes." About Women's History. URL: http://womenshistory.about.com/cs/quotes/angelina_grimke.htm . Date accessed: (today). (More on how to cite online sources including this page)